The Danish Secret To A Happy Life
“Happiness consists more in small conveniences or pleasures that occur every day, than in great pieces of good fortune that happen but seldom.” — Benjamin Franklin
Why does Denmark consistently rank among the happiest countries in the world?
At first glance, this fact is a bit mysterious given the terrible weather and high tax rates. The real secret is hygge, which means “well-being.” Danes are particularly adept at seeking out comfort in everyday life.
Hygge is pronounced “hue-guh.” Pucker your lips while saying it to get the right effect. A bonus is the resulting giggle from you or a friend. That’s a little bit of hygge, right there.
“Hygge pays attention to the concerns of the human spirit, turning us towards a manner of living that priorities simple pleasure, friendship and connection above consumption.” [Louisa Thomsen Brits]
Hygge is not a thing. It is an experience, a state of being.
- That feeling of Home
- A warm bowl of porridge
- The warmth from friends and family
- A small moment, savored to the fullest
- The absence of stress and negative emotions
- A warm fireplace and hot cup of coffee on a cold day
For me personally, the words “comfortable, happy and together” sum up hygge nicely. Here are some moments of hygge I recently experienced:
- Watching the sun meet the Earth at the twilight of a beautiful day
- Observing a bird singing in my cherry tree early in the morning
- Listening to the soft snore of my three dogs and watching their little paws twitch as dreams take them to other places
- Having a tasty craft beer with my wife and friends while listening to a live band
Now look at your own life and identify those cozy moments full of happiness and contentment. Recapture the feeling every day, and hygge will work its magic in your life!
🤔 Food for Thought:
When was the last time you felt safe, free of stress and the cozy kind of comfortable?
Can you name some recent moments of hygge in your life?
⚙️ One Small Step:
Is there a good friend or family member you haven’t connected with in a while? Try reaching out and setting up some time to just enjoy each other’s company. Throw in some coffee, great food, your favorite hangout or anything that provides a comfortable space to connect. And then savor the moment.